The Staff Tuition Reimbursement Assistance Program (STRAP) is an educational assistance program that provides partial tuition reimbursement for classified Georgia Tech employees at any accredited private Institution.
Need Assistance? Contact the Administrative Services Center at (404) 385-1111 or submit a Request Help ticket here.
This program is available to classified Georgia Tech employees who are full-time (1.0 FTE) and have successfully completed at least twelve (12) months of employment in a benefits-eligible position at the time of application. Time worked in a temporary position does not count toward the 12-month eligibility requirement.
Each eligible employee may seek approval to enroll in up to six (6) academic hours depending on funding for each of the three designated semester periods: fall, spring, and summer. If funding is not sufficient to cover all approved applications, they will be funded on a first submitted and approved basis. Employees will only be reimbursed tuition for completed courses on their STRAP application. Fees are not eligible for reimbursement. The current reimbursement rates are as follows:
- Undergraduate: $203 per credit hour
- Graduate: $287 per credit hour
An employee will be required to go through the regular student admissions process prior to applying for STRAP. Coursework may be either job or career-related, or for a career that is found on campus. A career-related course has an understandable connection with the career or job the employee might reasonably expect to pursue at Tech.
Approved programs include degree and diploma programs as well as certifications that offer credit hours and letter grades.
Program exclusions include Medical designations (doctor, dentist, veterinarian, etc.), law, non-credit continuing education, executive total cost programs, student fees, and program-specific fees.
An application must be completed each semester and will be accepted as early as 30 days prior to the deadline date of the semester you’re applying for. If STRAP participants enroll in classes other than those listed on the STRAP application, you must send an email to our office notifying us of the change within 30 days of when your class starts, prior to submitting reimbursement documents.
An application may be denied due to lack of funding and late submission of application. Any falsification or misrepresentation of information will result in the denial of tuition reimbursement.
You must submit the application via the Administrative Services employee portal by the following deadline dates:
- Fall semester - July 15
- Spring semester - Nov. 15
- Summer semester - April 15
- Apply for school through the Student Admissions office of the USG institution you plan to take academic coursework at during their designated application intake dates.
- Complete and submit the STRAP application found on the Administrative Services employee portal
- The application is only available on your portal during the application period
- You will receive a confirmation of receipt email; save this email for your records
- If you are unsure of the courses you are taking, put your best guess. It can be changed later by reaching out to the STRAP Program Manager via your submitted application
- If classes do change, add a comment to your submitted application with the updated classes within 30 days from the class change; you cannot request reimbursement if the classes on your transcript do not match what is on your application
- Wait until your supervisor and department head) approve your application
- Register for classes
- Check the status of your request in your employee portal
- Wait until the STRAP coordinator approves you application
- For detailed instructions on completing a Staff Tuition Reimbursement Program Application (STRAP) click here.
Approval emails for people attending Georgia Tech will be sent approximately 30 days after the application deadline date.
The application period is open 30 days prior to the deadline date of the semester you are applying for. If the deadline date falls on a holiday or weekend, the application deadline will be the last business day prior. Semesters are based on GT semesters. When you complete your application, make sure the classes you are taking at your accredited institution fall within the GT semester dates for which you are applying.