We would like to offer our deepest condolences to you and your family on your loss.
When a retired employee of Georgia Tech passes away that was enrolled in a USG healthcare, dental, vision, or life insurance plan:
- A family member or legal representative of the retiree should contact the One USG-Connect Benefits Center to notify the Benefits Center of the retiree’s death.
- A Life Specialists with the Benefits Center will discuss the following information:
- Making changes or canceling medical, dental (if applicable)
- Instructions for filing life insurance claims with MetLife
To reach the One USG Connect-Benefits Center please phone 844-587-4236, press 7 to be connected to a Life Specialist. The One USG Connect-Benefits Center is available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Eastern time.
Notification of Death - Retirement Plans
When a retiree passes away the Retirement Plan/Record keeper for that plan should be notified by a family member or legal representative as soon as possible. A retirement plan representative will provide directions for submitting proof of death and discuss the available distribution options with the retiree’s beneficiary for each retirement plan that the retiree is enrolled in.
- Teacher Retirement System of Georgia (TRS)
To report the death of a retiree receiving a pension from Teacher Retirement System of Georgia (TRS) phone (404)352-6500. TRS representatives are available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Optional Retirement Plan (ORP), 457(b) or 403(b)
To report the death of a retiree with ORP, 457(b) or 403(b) retirement accounts please contact the vendor where the account is held. There are three vendors that manage these accounts for the USG: